The Ins and Outs of the S8 Plus
The Ins and Outs of the S8 Plus
It’s time to grab your S8 Plus and dive into the specs. There’s so much to see and if you’re self-proclaimed tech nerd or simply want to see what’s going on in this monstrous 6.2-inch display screen, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s teardown the S8 Plus Teardown.
Crash Course on the S8 Plus
In this guide, you’ll be opening up the S8 Plus to check out the specs and everything this smartphone that was quite literally the largest phone in 2017.
Here’s a quick look at some of that information:
- 6.2-inch, dual-edge, Super AMOLED display with 2960 × 1440 resolution (529 ppi)
- 64 GB internal storage, expandable via MicroSD card (up to 256 GB additional)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (or Samsung Exynos 8895) processor, with 4 GB RAM
- Android 7.0 Nougat
- 12-megapixel rear camera with dual pixel autofocus and 4K video capture; 8-megapixel selfie camera
- IP68 water resistance rating
Fun fact: The front face of the S8 Plus is super smooth and basically featureless – but don’t let this confuse you – the power of this device is incredible. The physical home button was replaced with a pressure sensor that can be found within the device.
Tools Needed for the Note 8 Teardown
- Phillips #00 Screwdriver
- Halberd Spudger
- Opening Picks
- Plastic Cards
Instructions for the S8 Plus Teardown
Step One: iOpener Heating
- Place iOpener in microwave and heat for 30 seconds
- Reheat as needed throughout the procedure
- Apply the heated iOpener to a long edge on your S8 Plus for 2 minutes
- Once the adhesive is softened, carefully lift it open with a lifting pick
Be careful around the delicate fingerprint sensor cable. Unlike the other phones, it’s on the rear panel and attached to the motherboard with a very short cable. So, make sure you don’t slice right through it.
Step Two: Opening Up
- Detach cable
- Remove upper antenna assembly which is combined with the wireless charging panel
- Remove battery
Fun fact: The placement of the fingerprint ready makes this phone less prone to damage.
Step Three: Specs
- Pop out the complex motherboard and take a look inside. Check out these S8+ features:
- 48 Wh (3500 mAh at 3.85 V) battery
- "Dream1" Sony in the rear-facing/main camera
- Front-facing camera
- Iris scanning camera
- Move the cameras to the side and dive into the mother lode, or rather, motherboard:
- Samsung K3UH5H50MM-NGCJ4 GB LPDDR4 RAM layered over the MSM8998 Snapdragon 835
- Toshiba THGAF4G9N4LBAIR64 GB UFS ( flash and controller)
- Qualcomm Aqstic WCD9341audio codec
- Skyworks 78160-11
- Avago AFEM-9066
- Silicon Mitus SM5720 Interface PMIC
- Flip it over and check out the specs on the back side:
- Qualcomm WTR5975 RF transceiver
- Murata KM7118064 Wi-Fi module
- Avago AFEM-9053
- Qualcomm PM8998
- NXP 80T71 NFC controller
- Remove the vibrator motor and sensor array and check out:
- RGB LED
- IR emitter
- Dive into the display and check out that home button that isn’t a button at all!
- Peel up the display and discover the hidden details
The headphone jack is designed as a modular affair, making it great for easy repair ability.
Now that you know the ins and outs of the S8+, you can easily repair it on your own. Head to Digital Supply USA for replacement parts and follow these steps backwards to put your phone back together.