Replacing the S8 Plus Rear Glass
It’s like a smashed smartphone screen is the VIP pass to the coolest parties in town… Only not cool at all. If your phone screen or rear glass hasn’t been smashed, have you really lived? Probably not. Unfortunately, this can get expensive. So, it’s important to know how to replace rear glass on your Samsung Galaxy S8 all on your own. And that, my friends, is what you’re about to find out!
Crash Course on Replacing S8 Plus Rear Glass
In this guide, you’ll be learning how to remove the rear glass cover on a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. Say goodbye to a smashed phone... until the next time you drop it, of course.
Time: 10 minutes
Tools Needed to Replace S8 Plus Rear Glass
- Phillips #000 Screwdriver
- Suction Handle
- Halberd Spudger
- Opening Picks
- Adhesive or High-Bond Tape
- Galaxy S8 Plus Rear Glass Panel
- Galaxy S8+ Aftermarket Blank Rear Glass Panel
- Tesa 61395 Tape
Instructions for S8 Battery Replacement
Step One: iOpener Heating
- Clean your microwave to remove any debris
- Place iOpener in microwave
- Make sure the plate spins freely to deter the iOpener from getting overheated and burnt
- Heat for 30 seconds
- Reheat as needed throughout the next steps
Step Two: Rear Glass Assembly
- Apply the heated iOpener to a long edge of your S8+ for approximately 2 minutes
- Once the adhesive is softened, continue to next step
Step Three: Open the Rear Glass
- Once back panel is warm to the touch, apply the suction cup close to the heated edge without going near the curved edges
- Carefully lift the suction cup
- Insert the halberd spudger or opening pick under the rear glass until firmly inserted
Because of the curved glass, you’ll be pushing up into the phone as opposed to inserting it parallel to the plane of the phone.
Step Four: Open Up
- Reheat iOpener and apply to soften the adhesive
- Slowly slide the Halberd spudger down the sides of the phone to separate the glue from the phone
- Do so on all four sides, keeping an opening pick in each
- Reheat iOpener as needed
Make sure the orange cable with a blue connector is disconnected as you open up the S8+ and take a look inside.
- Remove the glass from the phone
Stop and disconnect the fingerprint sensor cable if it becomes snagged or seems to stay taut.
Step Five: Transfer the Fingerprint Sensor
(Skip this step if you’re reusing the same rear glass panel)
- Reheat iOpener and apply to fingerprint sensor which can be found on the rear glass of your phone
- Push the fingerprint sensor off of the adhesive from the exterior of the glass (easier than it sounds but use a Halberd spudger if you’re having difficulties)
Step Six: Old Adhesive
- Remove the old adhesive from the body (and rear glass panel if you’re reusing it) of the S8+
- Clean the edges with isopropyl alcohol
Make sure your new rear glass panel (if using) has all the missing components transferred to it from the old rear glass panel.
Then, put it back together with some adhesive by following these instructions backwards! Yes, it really is that simple. Shop all your S8 Plus parts today at Digital Supply USA.